Soooooo.....I haven't blogged in 25 years. Well, in a very long time. So I think I shall blog a few times this week with what I have been doing this semester.
First, I finally picked my nonprofit. This nonprofit is dedicated "to help men who have had unwanted or abusive sexual experiences in childhood live healthier, happier lives." This nonprofit, 1in6, also helps survivors' partners and family members, as well as professionals, by providing resources in order to help them help themselves and help the men in their lives that have been affected by traumatic sexual experiences.
Finally, a nonprofit aimed to help men.
A nonprofit like 1in6 is long overdue. The emphasis on the masculinity of men, on how men have to "man up" and take it, how men can't be subjected to sexual abuse...this stigma is ridiculous. That society tends to believe men shouldn't be embarrassed or humiliated by sexual experiences is especially heartbreaking because it can happen to them when they are boys. The sweet, inherent innocence of childhood is pushed out of the window the moment the boy is touched.
I have seen firsthand the affects of childhood sexual abuse in men and in boys. My twin brother--who is now twenty-two--has, only within the last few years, started hugging me. And I think that's because we attend college in two different cities, and being apart has made him miss me. Under different circumstances growing up in the same house, my brother hated touching anyone, or being touched, for that matter. (I was the opposite, being programmed to believe touch was necessary for approval and survival. I speculate this was the unknown cause of a lot of problems between us.) Character issues of my brother--who, in my opinion, hasn't sought healing or growth from his abuse--has caused a lot problems in his relationships with family members and his girlfriend of five years.
1in6 is for people like my brother. And me. And his girlfriend. And for the therapist he has yet to see.
I am really glad that you chose to partner up with something different. I had never thought nor had heard of anything like this organization until now. It was honestly something that I have been blind to.
ReplyDeleteThis is a deep entry. You have a good blogging tone. Keep blogging. I am new to this too... and I think I am going to become a blogging addict.
Kudos again to you for choosing this nonprofit and good luck to you as you wrap up the loose ends of your grant project.
I love this non-profit choice, Sara! The last line of your blog entry is indicative of your passion for 1in6, as well as for victims of sexual abuse. I really look forward to seeing your next couple of posts. Keep up the good work!
ReplyDelete