Sunday, January 27, 2013

In Between NPs

I'm behind. I will admit my Myers Briggs Personality results never let me forget I'm a procrastinator. But really, I need to find a more positive word. It's not that I procrastinate; I actually thrive under the pressure of pulling an all-nighter and quite a lot of my best ideas come from those last-minute oh-my-goodness-I'm-about-to-be-at-my-deadline freak-out moments. I think this personality characteristic always comes from a halfway diagnosis of adult ADHD.

Sorry, I digress. The point of my tangent is this: I have yet to figure out which nonprofit to choose as the basis for everything I do this semester in Writing for Change. At first I decided on The Children's Defense Fund because I strongly believe in their mission statement: "The Children’s Defense Fund Leave No Child Behind® mission is to ensure every child a Healthy Start, a Head Start, a Fair Start, a Safe Start and a Moral Start in life and successful passage to adulthood with the help of caring families and communities." However, I for some reason became dissatisfied with my preliminary ideas for the organization. And so  I moved on.

In my search for a different nonprofit, I dug deeper into who I want to help. Children, yes, but more specifically (or differently, so as to not limit myself) victims of sexual abuse and rape. I was raised in a household where my primary caretaker (while my single father worked his butt off to support my brothers and me) abused my twin brother and me physically, verbally, and sexually. My twin brother got mostly physical, maybe the verbal, while I was more a victim of of the sexual and verbal abuse. Which is why I was attracted to RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network). For any of you fellow grammar policemen out there, I was quick to notice the lack of an Oxford comma. However, that is the extent of any criticism toward this nonprofit.

Another side note:

Yet even as worthy a cause as RAINN has, I feel that the organization may be too big for me. But their stats did lead me to 1in6, which led me to NO MORE (yes, this organization is pretty large, but I'm really liking it at the moment).

Right now I am in between these two organizations. I will be blogging about these two organizations (if I can figure out if NO MORE is a 501(c)(3)--I could have sworn I saw it listed as such a few days ago!!) with my research and thoughts about them. In the meantime, homework due tomorrow awaits. :)

~~Sara

2 comments:

  1. I think when a personal experience is what draws you towards an organization like that not only helps the writing, but the writer as well. Id love to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with Emily. I think you could be an extremely powerful addition to RAINN! And, I'm a definite fan of the Oxford comma :)

    ReplyDelete